Monday, January 20, 2014

Can we Trust White People?

I was listening to the "I Have a Dream" speech by Martin Luther King Jr. and in it he spoke about how some people say you can't trust white people. When I was growing up I felt that white people couldn't be trusted. I remember as a young kid being bused into a white community to go to JHS and I recall the racial attacks on our bus. We were just young Black and Hispanic kids from South Side Jamaica Queens, NY going to JHS 210 in a white community. On our way to school there were racist white men throwing rocks at our bus and hitting the bus with bats and sticks. They were cursing at us with all kinds of filthy racial remarks. This occurred in 1983 when you would have expected racism to have been wiped out in NYC. MLK made his speech in 1963 and he helped to bring equality amongst whites and blacks in America yet there is still racism going on today. In this video I talk about if it's possible to trust white people.


No comments:

Post a Comment