Sunday, February 2, 2014

Growing up on Hip-Hop in the 80's


Raised on Hip-Hop in Queens New York 
Baisley Park battles All night in the dark 
Would usually end with a crazy dude busting off caps 
That's how the crowd would scatter after hearing the raps 
I remember standing there like I was watching a god
D Jays on the turn tables cutting it hard 
Mixing on the turntables doing fancy tricks
Emcees bragging on the mic how they bagging some chicks
You could here this loud music for miles and miles 
Forget giving out flyers we were running from our house
Was only 13 when I started building my studio 
Making mix tapes cracking jokes that was my duty yo 
We we're making a buzz while we were making some noise 
Pee Wee Killers watching thriller, back spinning b boys 
Spinning on our backs jumping off dirty mattresses
Dreaming about one day we be dating some actresses
Friends break dancing in my house busting some moves 
Wish they would've caught us on camera creating our own Crush Groove
The pioneers were our mentors teaching us the way to go
Shell top Adidas and big boom box radios 
Can't forget about graffiti we were tagging all around 
On the buses on the trains on any place in town
We wanted recognition for our gifts and our talents 
There were no fathers around so it was hard to find it 
We sought real hard to make a name for ourselves 
Formed crews drunk booze we were playing ourselves 
This is just a little taste of how the culture sunk in my soul
Now I'm on a campaign of walking streets of gold

- Keith Craig Allen

Giving you a taste of some poetry that will be featured in my new book "Untitled" coming soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment